Monday, August 5, 2013

Back - and Better Than Ever

Firstly, let me apologize for the incredibly long period in between posts. It won't happen again.

In truth I had almost forgotten about this little corner of the 'Tubes. I've had an eventful year. Shortly after my first post, I had a stroke, which put quite a crimp in my cha cha for the better part of a year. The story ends well along those lines, though: I'm one of the fortunate few that suffered no appreciable long-term damage. I did lose my shooter's eye, but I'm getting that back slowly. I'm now working on my trigger control; I find myself jerking the trigger down and to the right (I'm left-handed), which means I'm anticipating recoil.

The stroke informs an important decision I recently made: I have sold my CZ-82. It was a great firearm, and it was a wrench to sell it, but sell it I did, using the proceeds of the sale of the gun and the ammo to purchase a Glock 17.


It has all the charm of a washing machine, I know, but it was a compelling purchase for a number of reasons:
  •  It has a polymer frame, which makes the gun a good deal lighter - good for my slightly weakened left hand.
  • Despite its being lighter than my 82, it absorbs recoil much better.
  • My 82 fired Makarov ammo, which has all but dried up here in the US. The 17 fires 9mm Luger, the single most popular handgun caliber in existence.
  • There is a ready (some would say ubiquitous) supply of spare parts, extra magazines, and customizations for Glock products that is unparalleled in the industry.
  • It has a greater capacity than the CZ-82 (17+1 as opposed to 12+1)
  • It is far, far more accurate than the 82; indeed more accurate than I'm ever going to be.
  • I stumbled upon a fantastic deal for it that forced my hand and made the decision for me.
The financials: I sold my 82 plus 1200 rounds of Makarov ammo for $690. The Glock cost me $465 which included shipping, and I spent the rest on ammo - about 600 rounds worth. So I was able to make this swap for a net reduction of about 12 boxes of ammo. I'll take that any day.

Anyway, if there are any of you left who will read this, thank you for being so patient. I have a number of posts knocking about the cranium, so expect regular updates for the next little while.

Go see a doctor if you haven't recently. Find out what's wrong with you and fix it. Trust your Uncle Gary, you don't want to have a stroke.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no another convert to the Plastic Fantastic Corps. Actually the Glocks I have shot are accurate as hell, easy to handle, and my only complaint is the polymer grips sometimes slip in my hand especially the bigger handles like the Glock 21. But they're well made, almost never fail, and have smooth triggers. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete